Teaching English as a Foreign Language TEFL Program Fulbright Carlos Rico Award for North American Studies FAQ
Grants For Scholars
Application deadline: September 15, 2021
Teaching, Research or Teaching & Research: This award allows postdoctoral candidates with less than five years since receiving their PhD degree to teach at the university level, engage in research or both, in the grantee's area of specialization. Grantees seeking to gain academic experience and conduct collaborative research in Mexico are encouraged to apply.
Postdoctoral research grants are awarded in all disciplines except medicine, dentistry and veterinarian medicine where the project involves direct patient contact.
Projects in STEM fields or Public Health are considered priority areas of interest.
All projects must show a binational importance and impact.
In addition to being a prestigious academic exchange program, the Fulbright Program is designed to expand and strengthen relationships between the people of the United States and citizens of other nations and to promote international understanding and cooperation. To support this mission, Fulbright Scholars will be asked to give public talks, mentor students, and otherwise engage with the host community, in addition to their primary research or teaching activities.
Eligibility & Requirements
• PhD or other terminal degree (such as JD) required.
• This award is ONLY open to Postdoctoral candidates who have acquired their PhD within the last five years.
• Candidates living, working or studying in Mexico are not eligible to apply.
• Candidates must have U.S. citizenship. Dual citizens are welcome to apply.
• Candidates with a permanent resident card in Mexico are not eligible to apply.
• Candidates without a home affiliation are welcome to apply.
• Intermediate proficiency in Spanish is required. The level of Spanish language proficiency must be commensurate with the requirements of the project. Applicants must submit a language proficiency report.
• A letter of invitation from a qualified Mexican university, accredited institution or research facility is required at the time of application close date.
• Projects must be three to nine months. Academic year grants are preferred. Nine months grants start in August or September. One semester grants must correspond to the host institution's academic calendar. All grants must be completed by June 30.
To apply for this award, please submit your application here:
Fulbright Postdoctoral Scholar Award, award #12450-MX US Scholar Application_Fulbright_Postdoctoral.
For further information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Monthly award of $2,900
• One time relocation award of $1,200 USD in first installment
• One round-trip international airfare U.S. – Mexico only, up to $1,000 USD
• Dependent stipend included (see Dependent stipends below)
• Reimbursable donated materials up to $750 USD
• Airfare to attend Welcome Orientation and/or Midyear reunion at local rates
• $1,000 USD held against Final installment pending completion of grant obligations
• Emergency health benefits provided by the U.S. Department of State
• Medical health benefits provided by the U.S. Department of State
1. $250 for one dependent
2. $400 for two dependents (250 + 150)
3. $500 for three or more dependents (250 + 150 + 100)
The commission follows the recommendations of both the Mexican government and the U.S. Embassy Travel Warnings when placing U.S. Fulbright grantees in Mexico. Applications or affiliations located in areas where 4 there is a level 4 U.S. Department of State Travel Advisory in effect will NOT be considered. See the U.S. Department of State Travel Advisories webpage for further information.
1. Do I need to speak Spanish fluently to be awarded this grant?
• Candidates will be interviewed in Spanish. Successful grantees will have a level of Spanish sufficient to carry out tasks proposed in the grant proposal.
2. Are U.S. citizens who live or work in Mexico eligible to apply for the Fulbright-García Robles grant?
• No. U.S. citizens can live or work anywhere else in the world, but do not qualify for a grant to Mexico if they live or work in Mexico.
3. Are there rules on citizenship?
• No. All U.S. citizens, including naturalized and dual citizens, are eligible to apply.
4. Will my grant be reduced if I receive partial or full salary during a sabbatical?
• No. Sabbatical earnings are considered maintenance for a grantee´s U.S. expenses.
5. What if I have a simultaneous grant?
• If you receive another grant, your Fulbright-García Robles grant could be reduced if they duplicate benefits.
6. What if I don´t have a letter of affiliation at the time of application?
• Applicants should have a letter of affiliation at the time of application. If you do not, a letter of affiliation will be required prior to being interviewed.
7. What are the grant benefits?
• There are a variety of U.S. Scholar programs which offer different benefits. Please see individual programs for specific grant benefits.
8. Can I defer the grant to the following year if necessary?
• No. Fulbright policies do not allow grant deferrals.
9. Can I make changes to my proposal before the grant starts?
• Substantial changes to grant projects cannot be made either before or during the grant. However, date changes may be approved with advance written notice, approval from the host institution, COMEXUS and ECA.
Application deadline: September 15, 2021.
Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed by Zoom or videoconference.
Final results announced in March 2022.
Start dates of awards correspond with academic semesters: August 1, September 1 or January 1, all awards must be completed by June 30, 2023.
All grants are a minimum of three months and a maximum of nine months.
The US-Mexico Commission for Educational & Cultural Exchange is the leading binational agency dedicated to promoting understanding between the United States and Mexico through educational exchange of academics and professionals who have demonstrated excellence in their field.
For additional details: www.comexus.org.mx
Berlín 18 Piso 2 Colonia Juárez
C.P 06600 Mexico DF
+52 (55) 5592.2861