English Teaching Assistantships FAQ
Grants For Students
Open Study Research & Arts
This grant provides U.S. students studying a master’s or PhD degree the opportunity to pursue a 9 months research or arts project in Mexico. Candidates with terminal
master’s degrees are also welcome to apply. Candidates with only a bachelor’s degree will not be considered for this award, and are encouraged to apply to one of our other
U.S. Student programs: Binational Business, English Teaching Assistant or Graduate Degree Program.
Applications will be accepted in all fields of study except medicine, veterinary medicine and dentistry.
The commission follows the recommendations of both the Mexican government and the U.S. Embassy Travel Advisory when considering U.S. Fulbright grantees host sites in Mexico. This means that locations may be restricted to certain states or areas in Mexico depending these recommendations.
See U.S. Department of State webpage for detailed information:
• Fluent Spanish
• Minimum degree: MS/MA or currently enrolled in a master’s program (Candidates who are not in a Master's program or higher will not be considered).
• Letter of affiliation from a Mexican academic institution.
• Candidates studying, living or working in Mexico during the application process are not eligible to apply.
• Candidates who currently have a temporary or permanent resident card to Mexico are not eligible to apply.
• Double citizenship candidates are eligible to apply.
• Monthly maintenance.
• One round-trip international air ticket for the grantee.
• Book allowance.
• Fulbright medical benefit plan.
• Commission’s assistance with the visa paperwork.
• Additional dependent allowances.
Call for Applications
• Open: March 2023
• Closes: October 10th, 2023 5:00 PM EST
• For further information please see https://us.fulbrightonline.org/countries/western-hemisphere/mexico/1643 or email
• Shortlisted candidates will be invited to be interviewed in February 2024.
• “At large“ candidates must submit their application online "here" https://apply.iie.org/apply/?sr=756f3842-bbeb-4c36-b626-2758fd22d3f6. When doing so, please select Study/Research as the award type.
• Nine or six month grants awarded
• Nine month grants to start Sept. 1 and end May 31
• Six month grants to start Jan. 1 and end June 30
The US-Mexico Commission for Educational & Cultural Exchange is the leading binational agency dedicated to promoting understanding between the two countries through educational exchange of citizens who have demonstrated excellence and leadership.
For additional details: www.comexus.org.mx
Contact: Pedro Antonino
Berlín 18 Piso 2 Colonia Juárez
C.P 06600 Mexico DF